Velas Test Validator
During early stage development, it is often convenient to target a cluster with fewer
restrictions and more configuration options than the public offerings provide. This is
easily achieved with the
velas-test-validator binary, which starts a full-featured,
single-node cluster on the developer's workstation.
- No RPC rate-limits
- No airdrop limits
- Direct on-chain program deployment (
- Clone accounts from a public cluster, including programs (
- Configurable transaction history retention (
- Configurable epoch length (
- Jump to an arbitrary slot (
velas-test-validator binary ships with the Velas CLI Tool Suite. Install before continuing.
First take a look at the configuration options
Next start the test validator
By default, basic status information is printed while the process is running. See Appendix I for details
Leave velas-test-validator running in its own terminal. When it is no longer needed, it can be stopped with ctrl-c.
Open a new terminal to interact with a running
velas-test-validator instance using
other binaries from the Velas CLI Tool Suite or your own client software.
Configure the CLI Tool Suite to target a local cluster by default
Verify the CLI Tool Suite configuration
- NOTE: The result should match the
Genesis Hash:field in the
Check the wallet balance
Error: No such file or directory (os error 2)means that the default wallet does not yet exist. Create it with
- NOTE: If the wallet has a zero VLX balance, airdrop some localnet VLX with
velas airdrop 10
Perform a basic transfer transaction
msg!() output from on-chain programs
- NOTE: This command needs to be running when the target transaction is executed. Run it in its own terminal
Appendix I: Status Output
- File path of the ledger storage directory. This directory can get large. Store less transaction history with
--limit-ledger-size ...or relocate it with
- File path of the validator text log file. The log can also be streamed by passing
--log. Status output is suppressed in this case.
- The validator's identity in the [gossip network]
- The software version
The network address of the [Gossip], [Transaction Processing Unit] and [JSON RPC] service, respectively
Session running time, current slot of the the three block commitment levels, slot height of the last snapshot, transaction count, voting authority balance